Monday, February 22, 2010

Avatar in 3D IMAX

I saw Avatar in 3D IMAX a few days ago at the Boeing IMAX theater at Pacific Science Center.  I had previously seen the movie in 2D and wanted to see how such a beautiful movie would appear in 3D.

I have to say, I was disappointed.  I don't know the cinematic words for this, but the parts of the scene that would be out-of-focus (say vegetation that was far away) seemed very strange in the 3D format.

I don't know if the projection was from film or digital either, but I don't think the clarity was as high in 3D IMAX either.

If another film comes out and I have a 2D vs 3D choice like that I think I'll choose 2D.

HOWEVER, THE SOUND!  The IMAX sound was absolutely awe inspiring.  I can't say how good it was because I don't know how to describe it.  While you might think that 3D puts you in the scene -- not in this case.  It was totally the sound.  Just stellar.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment