Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Avatar

I saw Avatar last night.  Stunning.  Just stunning.

While the spectacle is amazing, the director, James Cameron, knows the secret.  Probably movie people have a better term for it, but I call it the George Lucas rule of special effects.  The rule basically says that just because it was really expensive you should not overweight it's place in the story.  The secret to the spectacle in Avatar is that it's not the focus of the story.

Noah and I went to see it in 3D IMAX at 6:30 last night in Bellevue.  That was sold out till the next day.  3D-regular was sold out until 11p.  2D wasn't available at that theater.  We ended up seeing the 7:20 show in 2D in Redmond (3D was sold out).  In retrospect, I'm glad I saw it first in 2D because now I can see it again in 3D.  This movie must be making tons of $$ because two week later every prime-time screening is selling out at two theaters.  I can't remember the last time I waited in line to see a movie.

I hope there is a "making-of" reel made.  That would also be a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment