Monday, December 28, 2009

Blu-Ray vs HD DVD -- I now get it: 2 years later

OK, so I'm dense.  Maybe everyone got this years ago, but it just hit me today.  Why was Microsoft so against Blu-Ray?

At the end of the day, lots of storage is good.  I know Java is the spawn of the devil, but was that the real reason?

It turns out that in the last couple of days I've been looking at Blu-Ray players (Why is it Blu and not Blue?) and I noticed a ethernet jack on the back.  What's that for?  Hey look, they can stream NetFlix and other video?  Some have web browsers in them.

It seems that the center of my digital living room / media center might be a Blu-Ray player which isn't running any Microsoft software at all.  Would Microsoft try to fracture the industry over that...

No comments:

Post a Comment