Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Life Decoded: My Genome: My Life

A Life Decoded is the autobiography of J. Craig Venter (here and here). He starts by quoting George Orwell: "An autobiography is only to be trusted when it reveals something disgraceful. A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats" and Samuel Goldwyn: "I don`t think anyone should write their autobiography until after they`re dead" which sets an interesting tone for the book.

Craig Venter is well known for sequencing the human genome and that's ultimately what this story is about.  I must admit I was captivated by the near-high school dropout who gets intertwined with the 60's and then goes to Viet Nam where he tries to have a life while staying alive and then get's a PhD and changes the world story.

I don't want to repeat the whole story here since it's worth reading.  Everyone tells this guy "no" and he keeps putting on the elbow grease and changes the world.  On top of all of this, he's a sailor.

Amazing story!  What a contribution to science and humanity.  I wish Craig the best with his current and future projects (here and here).

(Note the following pricing on Amazon. Paper: $6.06 NEW. Kindle: $9.72. DUMB!!!)

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment